In the age of Trumpism when people identify with the Trumpistic code which is;
- Be mean and nasty and bully to get one’s way
- Cheat and lie to get ahead
- Embrace greed as the path to personal worth and aggrandizement.
- Hate the other to protect what’s ours and one’s own.
- Exploit others to attain pleasure and satisfaction
- Practice moral and ethical behavior relative to one’s desires and preferences.
Unitarian Universalism offers a different code articulated in their seven principles around which they covenant to affirm and support.
In the age of Trump, not only in the United States but around the world, hope in a better future for humanity and the planet is in short supply. A political solution will not change the hearts and minds of human beings. That change must come from a different narrative of mythic proportions which inspires living in new ways.
The old narrative of a judgmental, wrathful, punishing Yeti in the sky no longer resonates with educated more enlightened human beings. Current humans aren't willing to sacrifice and martyr themselves for a place of peace and joy after death. Contemporary humans want peace and joy now on earth as it also is believed to be in heaven. The question is how to attain that peace and joy here and now. When the Trumpistic code does not work, and old time religion does not work, what other options are there? Unitarian Universalism offers one option.
Unitarian Universalism asks people to covenant together to affirm and promote
- the inherent worth and dignity of every person
- justice, equity, and compassion in human relations
- acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth
- a free and responsible search for truth and meaning
- the right of conscience and the use of democratic process
- the goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all
- respect and love for the interdependent web of all existence
Comparing the Trumpistic code with UUs seven principles which do you think offers humanity the greatest prospect for health and happiness. Unitarian Univeralism offers the world in the darkness of Trumpism, the light and hope of heaven on earth in the here and now.