- Number of firearm homicides in U.S. 2015 - 2016 = 27,394
- Number of firearm suicides in U.S., 2015-2016 = 44,955
- Number of firearm homicides in U.S. among persons 10 - 19 in 2015-2016 = 3,224
- Number of firearm suicides in U.S. among persons 10 -19 = 2,115
When Major Metropolitan Statistical Areas MSAs are compared between 50 largest metropolitan areas there is wide variability in firearm homicide deaths.
- Number of firearm homicide deaths 2015-2017 in the Providence Warwick = 1.1/100,000
- Number in New Orleans/Metairie = 16.6/100,000
- Average number for all 50 MSAs = 4.9/100,000
- Number of MSAs were rate of firearm homicide rate increased from 2012-2013 and 2015-2016 = 43/50
- Percentage of males as firearm homicide victims during both reporting periods = 85%
Just as the human body can manifest symptoms of illness, so a social body can manifest symptoms of illness. The social body of the United States is manifesting symptoms of spiritual illness in the form of increasing homicide and suicide rates. These observations are often interpreted as public health problems and political problems and here at UU A Way Of Life ministries we interpret these observations through a spiritual lens.
UUs covenant together to affirm and promote seven principles. In looking at firearm homicide and suicide rates we might apply our principles of inherent worth and dignity of every person, and justice, equity, and compassion in human relations and conclude that the basic principles of our UU faith are being ignored and not even perceived, let alone understood, as important builing blocks of covenantal relationships intended to sanctify the world by helping people live holy and happy lives.
Unitarian Univeralists have a message of hope to share with the beleagured and weary world in which it finds itself a part. How can we shine our light in a more focused way to help the people living in darkness?