- Number of people who live in poverty in the U.S. = 40 million
- Percentage of the people in U.S. who live in poverty = 12%
- Poverty line in the U.S. in 2018 = $25,100/yr for family of 4
- Wealthiest states = New Jersey and Maryland
- Poorest states = New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi
- Percentage of poor people in Mississippi = 20%
- Percentage of poor people in New Hampshire = 7.7%
- Percentage of poor people in West Virginia = 19.1%
- Percentage of poor people who live in Virginia = 10.6%
- Percentage of African Americans living in poverty in U.S = 21.2 %
- Percentage of Caucasians living in poverty in U.S. = 8.7%
Unitian Univeralists convenant together to affirm and promote justice, equity, and compassion in human relations.
Finding ways to addressing and ameliorating the poverty in our country, in our states, in our communities is one of the programs of UU A Way Of Life ministries. The first effort is to educate and raise awareness so the problems of poverty can be recognized, acknowledged, and managed.