Percentage in decline of firearm suicide from 1999-2006 = 7%
Percentage of increase in firearm suicide from 2007-2016 = 21%
A major factor in decreasing suicide attempts = removing access to the means.
Editors note: What are some of the protective factors that reduce risk to suicide:
- Strengthen household financial security
- Stable housing
- Teaching coping and problem solving skills
- Identifying and supporting people at risk (i.e. availability of mental health services)
- Developing prevention programs in schools, workplaces, community organizations
- Diminishing substance abuse (especially alcohol)
- Detection and treatment of depression
- Overcoming social isolation
- Decreasing contagion (copy cat effect)
- Limiting access to means especially gun control strategies
Other longer term and more general strategies might include proliferation of compassion and hope. This involves programs of spiritual support and uplift which is often lacking in many of our communties.