Religious Literacy quiz.
Stephen Prothero wrote the book, “Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs To Know- and Doesn’t” teaches religious studies at the college level. In his book, he describes a quiz he gives his students at the beginning of the semester to get a baseline on their knowledge of religion. He says most of his students fail the quiz. Here are a few of the 15 questions he asks:
- List the four gospels. List as many as you can.
- Name a sacred text of Hinduism.
- What is the holy book of Islam?
- Where was Jesus born?
- When President George W. Bush spoke in his first inaugural address of the Jericho road what biblical story was he referring to?
- What is the Golden Rule?
- Name the Ten commandments. List as many as you can.
- Name the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism.
- What is Ramadan?
- What are the seven sacraments of Catholicism?
- What are the two religious clauses in the First Amendment of the U.S. Consitiution?
- Where did Adam and Eve live?
- What happened on the road to Damascus?
- Who parted the Red Sea?
- What is Noah famous for?